Dubai’s summer is here bringing it with the high humidity and intense heat. This coupled with dust and pollution can wreak havoc with our hair. Dr. Manoj Kumar, Medical Director at Bloom Aesthetic and Laser Clinic shares the following tips to ensure healthy hair during the hot summer months.
1. Time for a shower – Every night before going to bed, most people would wash away the grime and dirt on their faces. However, not many realize your hair is also exposed to the same pollution and will be just as dirty. Washing your everyday will cause it to dry out so make sure to do it every other day to avoid dirt buildup.
2. Deep conditioning – The humidity and heat dries up your hair and this can lead to frizz and knots. Shea butter is a great natural conditioner after a wash – just take a small pea sized amount and use your palms to warm it and then apply it to the ends. Oil your hair two to three hours before a shower for a destressing deep conditioning treatment. If you are heading to the beach or pool, make sure to use a leave in conditioner. It will help in protecting your strands from the sunlight, sea water and chlorine in the pool.
3. Fake It – Who doesn’t love beautiful beach waves? They are always on trend and suits almost all face shapes. However, a day at the beach under the 40+ temperatures can be quite detrimental to your hair. Make a homemade sea salt spray – mix 1 tsp of salt, 1 tbsp of coconut oil with 1.5 cups of water in a spray bottle. Spritz it on and then scrunch your hair to achieve the beach waves look. The coconut oil will also help moisturize your hair.
4. Get stylish with a scarf – Scarves and turbans are very trendy in this part of the world with a plethora of beautifully designed ones available at every nook and corner of the city. Jazz up your outfit with a stylish scarf or turban that not only wins you fashion points but also protects your hair from the heat. It will also act as a shield from pollution and the wind.
5. It’s all in the nutrients – We’ve all heard the phrase, ‘you are what you eat’ and that is the truth. Ensure you drink at least 1.5 liters of water daily as this will prevent dehydration and ultimately the drying of hair. Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables and fruits to maintain the condition of your hair. Vitamin E helps in the production of hair and is found in abundance in nuts, beans and spinach so ensure these foods are a part of your daily diet.