By Aurelia Williams
It’s hard to beat working from home. When you work from home, you have the ability to work around the things going on in your life. You don’t have to worry about asking for a day off if you need it or taking a sick day. However, although there are many great benefits of working from home, you won’t be able to fully enjoy these benefits if you don’t know how to effectively manage your time.
If you don’t manage your time then your time will manage you. This is not a good situation for the work at home professional. Below are a few tips for how to effectively manage your time while working from home.
- Get Organized.Everyone’s version of being organized is different and it really doesn’t matter what your idea of organization is, as long as you follow it. When you are able to walk in to your office space and it is organized, then you will find you spend less time moving things around and “preparing” to work. Instead, you will be able to come in, sit down and get to work.
- Develop a Schedule. While the appeal of working from home is having the ability to work the hours that are convenient for you, it’s still important that you have some type of work schedule. Some work at home professionals have a set schedule of hours that they work every day while others plan out their working hours week by week. Both methods are fine, when you are consistent and follow your schedule. By developing a work schedule, you are managing time as you’re setting aside certain hours a day to commit to work, which will make you more productive.
- Avoid Time Consuming Activities.During your scheduled work hours, it important that you avoid getting sidetracked with time-consuming activities. Checking emails, social networking sites, reviewing your online banking information, etc. are all time-consuming activities that should be done on your “non-working hours.” These activities seem innocent, but can easily take up 30 minutes to an hour if you aren’t careful.
- Don’t Forget Breaks. Before your workday begins, review your schedule and make sure you have scheduled in a few breaks here and there. They may only be 15 or 20 minute breaks, but it’s important you do allow yourself a couple breaks. Breaks give you time to clear your mind and usually help increase productivity for those who work from home.
- Schedule Time Off.One of the drawbacks of working from home is that your work place is in the home with you. This makes it very difficult to leave work. However, it’s important that you do schedule time off for yourself. Many work at home professionals have fallen into the “workaholic” trap because they feel they should be working until they are caught up with everything. When this happens, it takes away the fun of working from home. Therefore, make sure you schedule yourself days off to give yourself a much needed break. Plus, your family wants to see you too!
Working from home is a very rewarding experience, especially if you have children or other outside commitments that make working a traditional job difficult. However, before you will be successful working from home, you have to effectively manage your time. By following the tips above, you should have no problem managing your time and increasing your daily work productivity rate…which means, increasing your profits too!
If you need help in tweaking your time management or reaching your goals, simply sign up for one of our totally free or affordable coaching packages today!
Photo credit: samwebster / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA