By Prof. Dr. Abdulbaqi Alkhatib , Consultant – Plastic Surgery, Burjeel Hospital, Abu Dhabi
1. Why do some people choose to have plastic surgeries?
Human beings in general, and women in particular, strive to have the best and most beautiful look. However, there are additional motives encourage people to visit plastic surgery clinics, including:
* Professional reasons which is the case with actresses and TV presenters.
* Problems among husbands and wives make the wives seek plastic surgery clinics to improve their appearance which has been affected over the years as a result of repeated pregnancies and having several children.
* The media play a key role in promoting plastic surgeries, and sometimes exaggerate in showing their results, which reflects negatively on people’s expectations.
* The influence of friends and relatives.
2. How to choose the right plastic surgeon?
Choosing the right surgeons usually depends on their level of experience and efficiency, reputation, professional ethics and the success rate of the operations they have performed. In fact, doctors of other specialties may also play an important role in evaluating plastic surgeons and recommending them to their patients.
3. How to choose the right hospital?
Choosing the hospital depends on the following factors:
* Hospital’s reputation and management.
* The level of experience and efficiency of the medical staff at the hospital.
* Equipment and resources available at the hospital including medical devices, pharmacy and radiology units.
* The location of the hospital.
4. Are there any cons and complications of Plastic Surgery as a specialty? If so, what are they?
Plastic surgery specialty is no exception when it comes to the surgical complications that other medical specialties may have. The successful plastic surgeon is the one who can avoid these complications before they occur; make sure that the patient’s overall health is well enough to undergo the surgery and general anesthesia; as well as the plastic surgeon have the ability to deal with the complications properly and promptly as they happen.
5. What types of plastic surgeries are available at Burjeel Hospital?
There are different kinds of plastic surgeries which are being performed at Burjeel Hospital such as; Liposuction, Body Sculpting, Fat Transfer procedures which involve moving fat from one part of the body to another to create a more youthful appearance, Face Lift, Blepharoplasty (lift of eye lids), Eyebrows Lift, Septorhinoplasty (improving the function and appearance of nose), Correction of Protruded Ears, Breast Augmentation, Breast Reduction and Mastopexy (lifting of breast upwards), Abdominoplasty, Thighs Lift.
Apart from these cosmetic procedures, we also do reconstructive surgery of congenital anomalies like cleft lip and palate and others. Also we treat skin malignant tumors, Burns and Scars.
In addition to other cosmetic procedures which are performed under local anesthesia such as; excision of all types of Moles, Cysts, Tumors and Skin Tags from the face and other parts of the body, as well as performing Fillers and Botox Injection.
6. What tips would you give to the people who seek out plastic surgeries?
* Maintain a healthy lifestyle constantly through avoiding smoking for example.
* Exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet to avoid obesity.
* Have realistic and logical expectations for their plastic surgeries results, as cosmetic procedures are meant to improve the appearance rather than reaching perfection.
7. What advice would you offer to new and less experienced plastic surgeons?
* Not to take the risk of performing complicated surgeries that exceed their abilities.
* Make sure that the patient’s overall health is well enough to undergo a plastic surgery to avoid any complications.
* Provide the patient with a detailed and clear description of the nature of the surgery performed and its side effects.
* Be professional and maintain confidentiality and ethics of the profession at all times.